Homemade All Natural Moisturiser – with only two ingredients!
This recipe for homemade all natural moisturiser is the perfect gift for Mother’s Day, or any other day!
My Mum is super hard to get presents for, and I was really stumped til I had a phone call with her and she told me that some moisturiser I’d just given her had brought her out in an allergic rash. I felt pretty guilty about that, even though it was a nice brand, because I know my Mum has always struggled with allergies and hidden nasties in things so I thought I should have checked the label a little closer.
Then I had my genius idea – I would make her some completely natural moisturiser that I know for sure has nothing but nice ingredients in it. I am hoping she will love it (I definitely do), and I think it is a fabulous present for anyone’s mother – not only is it super-moisturising and divine smelling, but the lavender makes it also feel really relaxing and pampering. And I think mums of all ages will appreciate it, especially friends with new babies who are careful to only use organic products around their children. I am thinking of making a big batch for Christmas presents now for all my friends with little ones!
So the other wonderful things about this moisturiser are that it is really easy to make, and costs no more than a store-bought moisturiser would! Brilliant.
Let me talk you through it.
- Assemble your ingredients – for one small Kilner jar of moisturiser, I used a 283ml jar of coconut oil. You can buy this really cheaply in world food markets, don’t buy it in WholeFoods unless you want it to be pricey. I also used 10-15 drops of Lavender Essential Oil. Don’t be concerned that you will have lots of lavender left – try adding a few drops to your bath in the evening and get some relax-time yourself! That’s it, just coconut oil, lavender, and a small empty jar. You could in fact use any essential oil that is suitable for topical application (i.e. direct to skin) so don’t feel tied to lavender.
- Scoop the coconut oil out of the jar into a stand mixer (it is important not to heat it to get the oil out, if it melts it won’t mix up into the creamy moisturiser texture), and turn it on. I used a balloon whisk, and mixed it for quite a while, until it was a smooth butter kind of consistency. Then I added 10-15 drops of lavender and mixed a bit longer. If it starts to smell divine, you’ve used enough, if you can’t smell the lavender, add some more, a few drops at a time.
- Once mixed, scoop it out and into your jar.
- I labelled my jar with my trusty Dymo label maker, but you could also make a pretty handmade tag.
- There you have it! The perfect Mother’s Day gift of homemade all natural moisturiser!
Do caution your Mother that this is basically an oil, so you only need a very small amount to moisturise your hands. Don’t scoop out a big blob like you would a normal moisturiser, or your hands will end up looking a little like a basted turkey! A tiny amount is plenty, and it leaves your hands feeling amazingly soft.